Pune Cycle Plan (or the Comprehensive Bicycle Master Plan for Pune) is being prepared by Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) in 2016 and 2017 through a project supported by the Ministry of Urban Development, Govt. of India. Read more…
सप्टेंबर २०१७ September 2017
Public inputs on the prelim draft Pune Cycle Plan may be given by 30 Sept 2017
Public Meetings, all are welcome!
23 Sept 2017 at Aundh Ward Office, 1030 am to 1230 pm
11 Sept 2017 at Lokayat, hosted by Alternatives Forum, Pune, 4 pm to 6 pm
Presentations of draft Pune Cycle Plan at Prabhag Samiti meetings:
- 19 Sept 2017 at Shivaji Nagar – Ghole Rd, 10.30 am
- 15 Sept 2017 at Kothrud Ward Office, 11 am
- 14 Sept 2017 at Dhankawadi Ward Office, 11.30 am
- 13 Sept 2017 at Warje Ward Office, 11 am
पुणे सायकल प्लान प्रारंभिक मसुदा सार्वजनिक टिप्पणीसाठी 30 सप्टेंबर 2017 पर्यंत खुला आहे. कृपया खालील मार्गांनी आपल्या सूचना आणि मते नोंदवा:
- Online पद्धतीसाठी पुढील लिंक द्वारे: ‘आपले अभिप्राय‘
- E-mail: email@example.com
- पत्राद्वारे: पुणे सायकल आराखडा, वाहतूक विभाग, पुणे महानगरपालिका, तिसरा मजला, वीर सावरकर भवन, शिवाजीनगर, पुणे ४११००५
The summary Preliminary Draft of Pune Cycle Plan is open for public comments till 30 September 2017. Please provide your inputs in any of the following ways:
- Online through this website ‘Submit Your Inputs on Draft Proposals
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Pune Cycle Plan, Traffic Dept, Pune Municipal Corporation, 3rd Floor, Veer Savarkar Bhawan, Shivaji Nagar, Pune 411005
प्रभाग कार्यालय येथे सादरीकरांचे वेळापत्रक Schedule of Presentations at Ward Offices
- 19 August 2017 Tilak Road Ward Office, 19 August 2017, 11 am
- 21 August 2017 Kasba Vishrambag Ward Office, 11 am
- 23 August 2017 Wanowrie Ward Office, 11 am
- 24 August 2017 Aundh Ward Office, 11 am
- 24 August 2017 Yerwada Ward Office, 11 am
- 29 August 2017 Nagar Road Ward Office, 11 am
- 30 August 2017 Dhole Patil Road Ward Office, 11 am
- 31 August 2017 Bhawani Peth Ward Office, 11 am
ऑगस्ट 2017 च्या प्रभागा समिती बैठकीमधील सादरीकरणचा धावता आढावा
Glimpses of Presentations at Prabhag Samiti Meetings, August 2017
Dhole Patil Road Ward Office, 30 Aug 2017: Attended by about 30 people, the presentation was chaired by Ms Chandbi Haji Nadaf along with Shri Dahibhate, Zonal Officer and Shri Arun Khillari. Comments and observations included:
- Cycle plan is really good, both for personal and city health and convenient mode of transport.
- Flyovers should also have provisions for cycling
- PMC may run shuttle service e rickshaws on subsidized rates.
- The Public Bicycle System facilities should be convenient to most users, they should not be resistant to use it
Queries were on: what is the membership fee/ costs for Public Bicycle Share.
- What is the estimated cost of each bicycle in the PBS
- Will it be possible to run a shuttle service on energy recovered from municipal solid waste
- What to do if there is a cycle break down between two stations or if there is an incident of accident
Yerwada Ward Office, 24 Aug 2017: The plan intent was appreciated. Concerns expressed included that there is already a lack of space for two-wheelers, so how will space be made for cycle parking on-street; the possibility of encroachment on cycle tracks and that the provisions must be effective for this; Alandi Road may be taken up for segregated cycle track as there is adequate width and there are a large number of cyclists in this area. Questions were on whether the plan is prabhag-wise and as per the DP (the plan is for the entire city, and it is made considering the current and future road network in discussion with PMC Road Dept and PMC Traffic Dept). Another question was on the rationale for selecting locations of cycle stations (these are decided keeping in mind the need for stations every 400 m, and the local situation of landuse).
Aundh Ward Office, 24 Aug 2017: The proposals were appreciated. Suggestions included to support more repair shops, training for cycle mechanics as well as for school children on cycle maintenance, separate network for cyclists to ensure safety throughout the day and distribution of fluorescent jackets to cyclists who ride late evening or night.
Wanowrie Ward Office, 23 Aug 2017: The presentation was facilitated by Shri S Molak Zonal Commissioner, and Prabhag Samiti Chair Ms Parvin Firoz, Mr Gawade, Ward Officer were present. The audience of 55 included elected representatives and the ward office staff.
Kasba Vishrambagh Ward Office, 21 Aug 2017: The plan was well appreciated. The prabhag samiti estimated that it may take 2 budget cycles to implement the first phase. The need for de-congestion in the core city was recognized as a concern. A proposal for pedestrianization of selected roads has been under consideration for some time. The Pune Cycle Plan will complement this proposal. Questions on the Public Bicycle System included whether there is a GPS on the cycle (no, the individual trips will not be tracked; however the system records which user is taking which cycle); whether there is a provision for carrying luggage (small bags may be carried on a hook); how older cycle shops may be integrated into the plan (a database and a map of cycle shops is created and available, it will need to be regularly updated); and whether the PBS be available on outskirts of city, last mile connectivity in these area is a concern (yes, the PBS is expected to be available city-wide and in outskirts areas that are within PMC limits).
Sinhagad Road Ward Office, 19 Aug 2017: Prabhag Samiti members were present and the meeting was facilitated by Shri Kesri. Ward wise maps and the plan details were requested to be provided to elected representatives.
Selected Results from the Studies done for Pune Cycle Plan
Here are some of the results from the studies, discussions and surveys done over 2016 and early 2017 for the Pune Cycle Plan. These results underline the need for safe and comfortable cycling infrastructure across the city for current cyclists, and to attract new cyclists.
Posts in 2016
“Pune can be a city where people find cycling, using public transport and walking convenient, comfortable, safe and attractive. Tell me how PMC can help you use a cycle, bus or walk wherever you want to go, for your day to day travel needs. I am committed to address your concerns.”
– Kunal Kumar, IAS, Pune Municipal Commissioner on World Environment Day 2016
The Pune Cycle Plan being prepared in 2016 is your chance to help make Pune a cycle-friendly city. Join Us!
Why a Cycle Plan for Pune Schedule for public consultations
Transportation is one of the main civic issues identified by Pune’s citizens. Over 500 motorized two-wheelers and cars are registered in Pune everyday. The increase in motorized traffic is leading to air pollution, health impacts, accidents, congestion and more time wasted stuck in traffic. Widening roads or building flyovers are not long-term solutions.
The vision for future transportation planning as accepted in the Comprehensive Mobility Plan of Pune (CMP) is
“Moving people safely and economically by emphasizing public transport and non-motorized transport.”
The CMP outlines various measures including improvement of footpaths, investment in public transport, regulation of parking, education and outreach on transportation issues and improved enforcement of traffic regulations.
Non motorized transport includes walk and cycle. Improvements in non-motorized transport are to take place with improved street design, including footpaths and crossings, and the preparation of the Comprehensive Bicycle Plan.
The current share of trips by walk and cycle are 32%. The Comprehensive Mobility Plan suggests that by 2031 at least half the trips in Pune, that is 50%, should be by walk or cycle. Pune already has about 23% work trips by walk.
Can the share of work trips by cycle go up from 9% to 25%?
Towards this end, Pune Municipal Corporation is preparing a comprehensive Pune Cycle Plan which will have recommendations for the following components:
- Physical infrastructure including cycle network, parking
- Phases of implementation based on identified priorities
- Financial estimates
- Implementation mechanisms and staff structure at the Pune Municipal Corporation
Citizens Engagement in Preparing the Plan
Citizens’ inputs will help in shaping the Pune Cycle Plan.There are several opportunities to be involved. Go to ‘Public Inputs‘ to share your ideas.
About the Plan Process
The project for preparation of a Comprehensive Bicycle Plan for Pune is supported by the Ministry of Urban Development, Govt of India.
The Traffic Dept of Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) is overseeing the preparation of the plan. Eventually, the implementation of the plan will be undertaken by the Non-motorized Transport Cell of PMC. The PMC has appointed the consortium of iTrans – Innovative Transport Solutions Pvt Ltd, Prasanna Desai Architects and Centre for Environment Education as Consultants for preparation of the Comprehensive Bicycle Plan for Pune.
- Request for Proposal
- Work Order, 3 December 2015
- Minutes of Inception Meeting, 7 January 2016
- Minutes of Meeting with State Urban Development Department, 20 February 2016
- Minutes of Meeting of the Bicycle Advisory Committee, 2 March 2016
- Inception Presentation (updated), 2 March 2016
Inception Report (pdf, 5 mb, opens in new window)